Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Guilty Pleasures


I always admire those people who say, “ I don’t own a TV”, or “I just read for fun”.  The admiration usually just stops there as I cannot readily incorporate that into my life.

Lately, I have been loving me some TV!

Let me tell you all about what I’m watching…and why I can’t get enough!


The Sisterhood, on TLC:  This show is addicting because as someone who “grew up churchy” I can appreciate the ridiculousness and comedy of these 5 Atlanta women who are married to pastors.  With everything from a Christian Bat-Mitzvah, racial feuds, and sex parties for pastors' wives…I have been tuning in and will continue to do so!

House Hunters & other HGTV programming:  Apparently this show (and station) have been going on long and strong for a while…I’m just late.  Watching this show just gives me hope that one day I will be in a position to save my money , buy a dream home with my spouse and we’ll live “happily ever after”.




Bravo’s Real Housewives of Atlanta: Need I say more than NeNe Leakes and Kenya Moore?!?! This seasons has given me all of the cooky phrases I need to have a laugh when it’s Sunday night and I’m preparing for the work week ahead. Donkey booty, Gone with the wind Fabulous,  Bye-Bye Ashy! I could keep going.



RuPaul’s Drag Race, Logo: 
I have my old roommates David and Daniel to thank for my new appreciation and fascination with drag queens. This show’s take on America’s Next Top Model, except with men who do drag is one of the most creative, hilarious and outrageous shows out. Each episode delivers entertainment and creativity, and the sometimes subtle subtext of the show is teaching viewers about another community in our society. Beyond learning some new drag slang, the show always teaches its viewers to love and accept yourself. “If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you goin’ love someone else? Can I get an amen?!?!”


Scandal, ABC: I got hip to Scandal late last year and have been hooked ever since.  The characters speak really fast, and there are lots of plots twists and turns…but at the end of the day it forces me to pay attention and not just watch mind-numbing television.  I also appreciate the cast and it’s writing…but that’s an entirely differnet post.

GIRLS, HBO. I did not cancel my HBO subscription simply because a new season of Girls was returning to TV. This show is so well written and acted, it’s like a visual and mental trip into the lives of every young adult persona. Beyond that I think what I enjoy most about this show is the conversations I get to have about it with other viewers. Drug use, interracial dating, body image, sexual orientation, career fulfillment, abortion…I could go on and on. It provides good fodder, usually good background music, and a quirky lead character that you have to love and laugh with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelations on Childish Gambino's "This is America"

Childish Gambino’s “This is America” is a nation’s self-portrait highlighting its flaws while seeking celebration for its ability to do so ...